Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Inconsistency in one of my favourite films

I'm a total comic book buff. I immensely enjoy reading comic books, and enjoy films based on comic book super heroes even more. Of course, not all super heroes and not all films, but most.
One of my favourite series is the uncanny X-men. I love the concept and the characters. Of course, the storyline of who is/was/will be an Xman and who killed whom when and who became evil and who became good etc. is all lost on me. But the films they made based on the series were pretty neat.
I liked X2 in which magneto showed off his kick-ass power, and Scott Summers continued to retain the pussy wimp impression he created in part 1.
While watching the movie on the telly the other day, I noticed a glaring flaw in the precursor of one of my favourite sequences of the film. The sequence I am referring to is where Magneto extracts the liquid metal from the guard's blood (with one of my favourite dialogues - "There's something different about you today... what could it be? Too much iron in your blood!!"). Then in a blatant display of his awesome power, Magneto manipulates the small metal ball to totally destroy his prison and escape from there with consummate ease! In this scene Magneto also demonstrates his ability to sense metal in his vicinity.
The whole premise of the scene is that in magneto's prison, there are no metallic objects because in his vicinity, they will serve as instruments of his freedom (as it eventually turns out). Hence everybody is forced to pass the metal detector before entering, and other such precautions.
The precursor scene I am referring to, which totally deflated this great concept was where Magneto is interrogated by Col. William Stryker (the stout obnoxious goateed guy with halitosis no doubt!). Stryker is wearing metal framed glasses. I guess the metal detectors screwed up there eh? Also Stryker, who supposedly "designed" the metal-less prison, forgot the metal in his eye glass frame. But worst of all - Eric Lancsher, the famed and powerful Magneto himself, temporarily was unable to sense (or see for that matter) the metal that could have liberated him much much sooner.
What could be the reason? My guess is Stryker's halitosis. It must have a neurotoxic effect which mixes up sensory nerve input and confuses all beings in a 5 yard radius :)
Otherwise a nice enjoyable movie.

p.s. Another one of my favourite dialogues -
Pyro (to magneto) - They say you're the bad guy...
Magneto - Is that what they say?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home