Wednesday, December 01, 2004

a prayer for a bit of goodness

Yesterday night, as I lay in bed and waited for sleep to overtake me, I was wondering about things that really bother me about the world. The list sure is long.
And the knowledge that there are so many bothersome things in life, is a bother by itself. There are very less waking moments when the weight of existence does not weigh heavily on my shoulders.
I lament the loss of innocence, the loss of goodness, the loss of purity and the loss of simple joys. The corruption in society permeates into every nook and cranny - even I have been corrupted by it's influence. I am not holier than thou and I would not be the first person to cast a stone at anybody. I have a lot of crap in my life, and I have done things I clearly can see are wrong. What's distressing is that it no longer alarms me to realize what I am capable of. Instead, where there should have been alarm, there's only a niggling bother in the background of my consciousness. An awareness, that not all is as it should be and that there's nothing around me that is a source of the hope that things will be alright.
So what exactly is it, that makes life worth living? What exactly is it that gives us hope? I searched my past, my reasoning and my sense of right and wrong for the answer.
The answer was - the hope that there's a bit of good left in the world. That's what makes me feel good. It's the simple hope that there still exists a bit of good in the world. That there still exists that, which is as yet untainted by all the evil and the moral decrepitude that permeates our existence. That there is still that which is pure and innocent.
It's not something I can aspire to... not any more. I am no longer worthy of it. But I can pray that it is preserved, wherever it is, in whatever form it is. One thing is for certain, there's not a lot of it around.
Ancient Hindu texts describe the occurence of Kaliyug - a time when evil is rampant and all values are lost. Looking around, I feel like we're in the midst of a Kaliyug right now.
it's a situation much like the evil of the black power in "The Lord of the Rings", which permeates everything in the world and small islands of good fight a losing battle. This world faces an unseen enemy - and we don;t even realize we're under attack. The enemy's killing out all that's good. And there's no ring here that may be destroyed to restore goodness and sanity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home